|UAMS Campus Construction History
The campus of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) in Little Rock has seen many changes since 1950, when a 26-acre tract of land on West Markham Street was formally deeded to the university by the State Hospital.
A year later, ground was broken for the new University Hospital, a teaching hospital for students in the state’s only medical school.
By 2005, the campus contained more than 3.5 million square feet of buildings to serve the patient care, education, research and outreach missions of UAMS. A campus expansion effort was well under way, with a major hospital expansion and other projects set to add another 1.2 million square feet in new buildings by the end of the first decade of the 21st Century.
In this campus construction history, the buildings are listed chronologically by the year UAMS took ownership or the year they were under construction, with the exception of buildings purchased or the enclosed bridges that connect several buildings on campus.
Some buildings may be listed earlier than first used because shelled (unfinished) floors were completed later. Building area listed is by gross square feet due to net square feet changes with renovations. Room/bed counts are from the original drawings and may have changed with renovations.
While the photos show the exterior of the buildings, it should be noted that many building interiors have been renovated or redesigned through the years to serve evolving campus needs.